Saturday, November 22, 2014

Sugar Detox: Day 2&3

So, I've done a few other 'detoxes' in the past and if you are thinking about attempting one, remember that detoxing is kind of like childbirth. The actual process kind of sucks, but once you hit that 'other side' it's completely worth the effort.
Lunch Day 2

Day 2 was REALLY hard. I woke up with the worst headache and had very low energy most of the day. This (I assume) was from a combination of the caffeine withdrawals and the beginning of a sinus winter-y head cold. Finally, around 3 pm (right after the 'lunch' for the day) I began to feel amazing.

My headache began to go away and I was finally getting some energy back. (All with out sugar or caffeine!) I was a bit nervous because I was heading to spend the evening at my parents house, along with having two extra kids with me for the weekend.

This is where planning was key! I made my dinner at home beforehand and prepped all my meals that I would need for the duration of the trip. It was pretty daunting to be out of the comfort of my own home, but I usually am up for a good challenge.

Pre-made Dinner Day 2
Day 3 - this is when the magic happens. I love making it to day three on a detox because you finally began to feel the results of all the hard work and effort you've put in the last two days. I woke up - headache free - and even though my loving husband made me coffee, I was able to lovingly turn him down.

Preparation is KEY

It was pretty amazing to wake up and not feel
as if I 'needed' or just had to have my morning rush. Not only was that a blessing, but for the first time in a really long time, I was able to withstand the temptations surrounding my mom's house. (The breakfast of biscuits and gravy, sausage, bacon, eggs, etc...) I was even able to icing a cake without wanting to lick all the icing off the spatula! 

It was nice to see that I can be away from home, but still meet my dietary goals. I feel as if I had more patience with my kids today and I am thinking more clearly. The test is going to come for the next 4 days, as I am not quite half way through the detox. All other detoxes I've done have only been for 3 days, so I hope I can keep this one up!

Dinner Day 3
The need to be released from certain foods is one way that I can really be in a position where I have to acknowledge that God is enough. In my own devotion yesterday, I began the Gospel of John and the verse 3:30 stood out to me. "He must increase, but I must decrease." 

I'm not talking about in physical weight, but more of an emotional decrease for the dependence on things that aren't God. I don't need caffeine every day, I don't need sugar every day. I need God everyday. Creating a dependency on Him, is worth the struggle of letting go of all other things we think we 'just can't go without.'  When we learn to lean on Him to pull us through seemingly small things (like a sugar detox) then we will have the foundation we need to trust Him with the bigger obstacles in our lives.

I'm so excited for the rest of the Detox Challenge, but also nervous. I know I have to make God my center if I am going to successfully complete this!


No comments:

Post a Comment