Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Sugar Detox


Here we go!!! 
Alright, here's the kickoff. I'm starting a blog...enjoy! 

It's about a week before Thanksgiving. A friend was telling me about a sugar detox she tired and instantly fell in love. I had been looking for a good detox to help start the process of digging deeper into finding out what is causing some of my intestinal issues. (I was just diagnosed with IBS last week - suck!) But, at least now I have a name to associate with the stomach issues - its bitter sweet, I guess.

Anyway, as I was making a list of what I was going to need for Yuri Elkaim's  7 day sugar detox, my eight year old son was looking at the ingredients with fascination. He asked me what I was up to and when I told him that I was going to try and have no sugar the week before Thanksgiving, he was instantly hooked. (Well, maybe not instantly. He was very nervous, but I could tell he wanted in.) 

After assuring him that he didn't have to eat the Spinach Soup, he became way more excited about this than I still am, but at least now I know I don't have to go at it alone. He’s been my little buddy when it comes to some of the crazy things I've tried over the past couple of years.

Last year we did a section in our homeschooling about taking care of our bodies. My son's project was to create his own workout video. Since then we have trained for a 5K together - which he won 5th place in his division (so proud), and still workout. 

This has provided me with some wonderful conversations with my son about God's love, patience, and endurance for us; therefore, we need to execute endurance, patience and love on others - even if his younger brother just threw his legos across the room. 
Morning smoothie bags - prepped and ready to go

I believe Biblically founded principles such as discipline, patience, suffering (joyfully), and endurance can be executed and physically manifested by taking care of our bodies through our eating habits and exercise. For my kids, I am able to teach them about these principles by associating a physical way to carry them out.  

We're kicking off the week before Thanksgiving with our sugar detox. We started the evening by talking about the list of ingredients and how they are all ‘naturally occurring,’ or God created foods. This week is assured to have some great life lessons associated with it and I am so excited to share those here.



 Check back for our updates throughout the week. I know prayer is the only way I will be able to survive this, but with God ALL things are possible. (Matthew 19:26)


No comments:

Post a Comment